Insurance for residential and commercial landlords. Protect your investment against unexpected risks.

Are you a residential or commercial landlord renting out properties?

Our flexibility in cover allows you to insure a single property and add multiple properties to your existing policy – whatever your portfolio we can help you find the right cover at the right price.

Remember that home insurance is not designed for your rental activities – with properties that are let you would need specialist landlord insurance cover.

Landlord Insurance key features

• Landlord Contents
• Buildings Cover
• Public and Property Owners Liability 
• Legal Expenses
• Loss of Rent/and or Alternative Accommodation for your tenants
• Glass and Locks Replacement
• Malicious Damage/Vandalism caused by tenants 
• Theft or attempted theft by tenants
• Employers Liability
• Accidental Damage for Buildings and/or Contents 
• Cover available for a wide range of tenants

These are just some of the key features. When obtaining a quote you will be be able to increase cover limits with standard cover as well as select optional extras. Full details can also be found in your chosen insurer’s policy wording. Please have a read of everything before you purchase cover.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can find the answers to our most frequently asked questions below.

When should I apply for Landlord Insurance?

We are able to quote for new landlord insurance policies up to 30 days before the renewal date. If you’re not ready to renew yet, please email us with your renewal or cover start date and submit the details to [email protected] or you can submit your query here. We will contact you closer to your renewal date.

Do Landlords need Public Liability Insurance? (also referred to as Property Owners Liability)

Public liability insurance protects you and your property against claims brought by tenants or visitors for personal injury or damage to their possessions arising from any incidents connected to your property. Perhaps a tenant slips on an uneven step and injures themselves? Can you afford not to take out public liability insurance? 

What is Buildings Sum Insured?

The buildings sum insured is the cost of rebuilding your property if it was to be completely destroyed including any cost of debris removal, architect, surveyor, consultant and legal fees, VAT and the additional cost of complying with local authority and government requirements. The sum insured must not be confused with the market value of the property (how much you would get if you sold the property).

The responsibility lies with the insured that the sum insured is sufficient for their individual needs. If in the event of a claim you are found to be under insured your insurer may reduce any claim payments or not pay any at all.

How do I calculate the sum insured?

If you wish to calculate the correct rebuild cost for their property, it is advised you hire a chartered surveyor or use a rebuild calculator.

I’m improving my property, should I notify My Business Cover?

Yes, you would need to notify us of any changes or improvements you make to the property. Your insurer may need to alter your policy and you will be under insured. It is important the level of cover is accurate and always kept up to date.

I don’t have an email address

You will need to have a valid email address in order for you to obtain a quote from My Business Cover.

When purchasing your cover we would then issue you with your policy documentation and our information sheets as downloadable PDF’s sent directly to your email address.

If I find a lower quote would you be able match or even better it?

If you already have obtained a quote elsewhere, please contact us with your quote request. Please have your current target premium to hand in order for us to provide you with a competitive quote.

If we are unable to beat the quote online, we then approach underwriters on your behalf in order to obtain the most competitive terms.

What is the policy duration?

The policy has a 12 month period of insurance (unless shown differently on your policy schedule) and is renewable every year.

Can I spread the cost of my policy?

Yes, there is an option of making your annual premiums/fees affordable by spreading the payment over monthly instalments. To find out more about this option please contact us or you can submit your query here

How do I cancel my policy?

If you decide to cancel your policy, just let us know.

You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel your cover within 14 days of setting it up (the ‘cooling-off’ period).

After this period, you may cancel your policy by giving us 30 days written notice of your intention to do so. The insurer may cancel your policy by giving us written notice; the duration of which will be detailed in the policy wording.

Beyond the 14 day cooling off period, cancellation terms may differ between insurers. Some insurers may be willing to return a pro-rata premium of up to 3 or 6 months after inception of the policy. However, after this period no refunds will be given. Any refunds may take up to 60 days to process.