Flexible cover to suit your individual shop and retail business needs

At My Business Cover we understand that as a shop owner you have a responsibility towards your customers, employees and suppliers. That is why your shop and retail insurance policy provides you with cover for a wide range of risks including public, product and employers liability as standard.

So whether you’re a newsagent, bakery, florist, butcher or a clothing shop owner, our shop & retailer packages are designed to meet your individual business needs.

Shop & Retail key insurance features

 Standard – increase cover limits  Optional – extend your cover
Public Liability

For injury to the public or damage to their property

Product Liability

Covers you in the event your product causes injury or damage to a person or their property

Employers Liability

Will help you pay compensation if an employee is injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you on and off site

Business Interruption

Covers you for loss of profits following an insured loss e.g. damage to the contents of your Premises or to the buildings

Shop Contents

Covers your shop contents (e.g. shop counters, fixtures, fittings, computer equipment) and stock cover

Deterioration of Stock

Covers your perishable stock of food should a refrigerator or deep freeze unit break down or is damaged

Buildings Insurance

If you own the premises or are obliged to insure under a lease agreement, buildings insurance covers the property itself and any outbuildings should you need to rebuild it

Commercial Legal Expenses

Designed to cover legal costs and expenses incurred when defending legal claims made against you and your business

Goods in Transit

Cover for your goods whilst in transit in vehicles owned and operated by you and up to a selected amount per vehicle, including loading and unloading

Loss of Money

Cover for theft of money from your premises, home, employees home or whilst in transit

Can’t find your profession or trade online?

Contact My Business Cover on 03333 444 585 or send an email to [email protected]and someone will be in touch shortly.

You can also submit your query here

Frequently Asked Questions

You can find the answers to our most frequently asked questions below.

When should I apply for insurance for new business?

We are able to quote for new business insurance policies up to 30 days before the renewal date. If you’re not ready to renew yet, please email us with your renewal or cover start date and submit the details to [email protected] We will contact you closer to your renewal date.

Should I contact you if I wish to vary the months or amounts of the seasonal increase during busy periods in the year?

Shop and retail insurance has been specially designed to protect you during the busy trading periods.

You must contact us if you wish to vary the months or amounts of seasonal stock cover. This will ensure that you are properly compensated for any financial losses. 

Increased stock levels means that you have higher than normal levels of stock which exposes you to increased potential losses. For example, in the event of a fire – you’d be covered for damage to stock at the premises or in the event of a burglary – you’d be covered for theft of stock.

What happens if I am under-insured?

If you are under-insured, you may not receive the full value of your loss, hence giving the insurer the right to impose an ‘average’. This means that the insurer will reduce the claim settlement figure in proportion to the level of the under insured value, with you having to bear part of the cost of repair or replacement. Therefore, it is important that you review the sum insured on a regular basis so that it is reflecting the most current and new replacement costs.

What if I’m not sure that you can insure my exact trade?

If you’re not sure whether we provide cover for your specific trade, then please give us a call on 03333 444 585 or send an email to [email protected].

I don’t have a business name yet

Your full business name must be recognised as a legal entity.

Sole Trader – As a sole trader you may run your business under your own name or under a different trading name e.g. Mr Joe Blogs trading as Joe B Interiors. For an individual, full forenames and surnames must be set out

Partnership – all names must be included in full e.g. ‘Joe Blogs and Joe Blogs trading as Joe Blogs Engineering’

Private/Public Company – the full business name must be stated including the word ‘limited’ or ‘plc’ e.g. ‘JB Limited’ or ‘JB Limited trading as ABC Clothing’

You must ensure that the business name is correct as this appears on your policy schedule and Employers Liability Certificate.

My Business is a start-up – can I still get cover?

Yes you can.

I don’t have an email address

You will need to have a valid email address in order for you to obtain a quote from My Business Cover.

When purchasing your cover we will then issue you with your policy documentation and our information sheets as downloadable PDF’s sent directly to your email address.

If I find a lower quote would you be able match or even better it?

If you already have obtained a quote elsewhere, please contact us with your quote request. Please have your current target premium to hand in order for us to provide you with a competitive quote. We will then approach underwriters on your behalf.

What is the policy duration?

The policy has a 12 month period of insurance (unless shown differently on your policy schedule) and is renewable every year.

Am I covered instantly?

Once you have submitted your proposal form and having conducted a fair analysis of the market from our panel of insurers we seek to obtain the most appropriate terms on your behalf.

Once we have confirmed that you are covered and your policy is live, you are insured from that point onwards. We then issue you with your policy documentation and our information sheets as downloadable PDF’s. Unless requested, we don’t send out any paper documents, but you are able to print everything as backup so that you can refer back to everything in the future.

Can I spread the cost of my policy?

Yes, there is an option of making your annual premiums/fees affordable by spreading the payment over monthly instalments as long as you meet our minimum level of premium for this facility. To find out more about this option please contact us

How do I cancel my policy?

If you decide to cancel your policy, just let us know.

You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel your cover within 14 days of setting it up (the ‘cooling-off’ period).

After this period, you may cancel your policy by giving us 30 days written notice of your intention to do so. The insurer may cancel your policy by giving us written notice; the duration of which will be detailed in the policy wording.

Beyond the 14 day cooling off period, cancellation terms may differ between insurers. Some insurers may be willing to return a pro-rata premium of up to 3 or 6 months after inception of the policy. However, after this period no refunds will be given. Any refunds may take up to 60 days to process.